What is a dog food topper? As a pet parent, you might have noticed this trend in canine nutrition. This blog post is going to explain what it’s all about!
A dog food topper is a tasty addition to your dog’s regular meal. It can be anything from a simple sprinkle of cheese to a dollop of yogurt to a scoop of wet food. Meal mixers can be a great way to make your dog’s food more appealing and nutritious.
Why Would You Use a Topper for Dog Food?
There are many reasons to mix a dog food topper with your pup’s everyday kibble. Some of the most common health benefits of dog meal toppers include:
- Increased palatability: Toppers can make your dog’s food more flavorful and appealing, especially for picky eaters.
- Supplements & added nutrients: Toppers can add additional nutrients, such as protein, fat, vitamins, and minerals to your dog’s diet. Some dogs need extra supplementation for things like skin or hip & joint health.
- Increased hydration: Toppers and pour overs can help to keep your dog hydrated, especially if they are on a dry dog food diet.
- Improved digestion: High-quality toppers can help to improve your dog’s digestion and reduce the risk of constipation.
- Weight management: Pet food toppers can help you manage your dog’s weight, especially if they are overweight or obese.
Types of Food Toppers for Dry Kibble
Some examples of popular dog food toppers include:
- Wet food: A wet dog food topper is a great mix in that adds moisture and flavor to your dog’s food. It is also a good source of protein and other nutrients. It’s also a great option for senior dogs with dental health issues.
- Bone broth: Beef bone broth or chicken bone broth are nutritious broths that can be added to your dog’s food or given as a treat. It is a good source of protein, collagen, and other minerals.
- Freeze-dried dog food topper: Freeze-dried raw dog food toppers or mixers are high protein pieces of raw meat (like beef liver) that have been preserved by a rigorous sublimation process. As such, this limited-ingredient option can be very expensive.
- Yogurt: Plain yogurt is a good source of protein, calcium, and probiotics your dog needs. It’s great for gut health and can be added to your dog’s food or given as a snack.
- Cheese: Cheese is a good source of protein and calcium. It can be added to your dog’s food at mealtime or given as a treat.
- Fish oil: Fish oil is a common kibble topper that contains omega-3 fatty acids that support healthy joints, skin, and coat.
- Fruits and vegetables: Many fruits and veggies are safe for dogs to eat and can make great food boosters. Some good options include amino acid and antioxidant-rich superfoods like carrots, apples, bananas, sweet potato, and blueberries.
If you are looking for a way to make your dog’s food more appealing and nutritious, consider using a dog food topper. There are many different options available, so you can find one that is perfect for your dog’s individual needs.
Choosing a Dog Food Topper
When choosing a dog food topper, it is important to select one that is appropriate for your dog’s age and life stage, health, and dietary needs. For example, if your dog has allergies, you will need to choose a topper that is free of the allergens that trigger their reactions.
Here are some tips for using cat food or dog food toppers:
- Start with a small amount of topper and gradually increase the amount until you find the right amount for your pooch.
- Mix the topper in with your dog’s regular food or offer it as a side dish.
- Be sure to monitor your dog’s weight and overall health to make sure that they are not getting too much or too little of any particular nutrient.
The Best Dog Food Toppers Without Preservatives
The majority of dog food toppers on the market contain preservatives, mystery additives, and fillers. If you want to healthy dog food topper with natural ingredients that are great for digestive health, coat health, and overall wellness, try adding fresh dog food to your pup’s kibble.
We believe a little fresh dog food in a dog’s diet is better than no fresh whole food at all. Pantry Fresh is made in the USA with whole food, human-grade ingredients even picky dogs can’t resist. It’s the perfect wet topper to add to your pup’s diet.
If you aren’t sure which recipe your dog will like, try a sampler variety pack. It contains the beef recipe, chicken recipe, turkey recipe, and lamb recipe. Each recipe is fully balanced and formulated to deliver daily essential nutrients for active adult dogs. Gluten and grain-free options for sensitive stomachs are available!