1. Blog
  2. Health and Wellness
  3. Pet Poison Prevention Advice from a Veterinary Toxicologist


Pet Poison Prevention Advice from a Veterinary Toxicologist

A veterinary toxicologist goes over what toxins can make a dog sick and what symptoms to look out for.

Dr. John Tegzes, VMD, Diplomat American Board of Veterinary Toxicology from Western University of Health Sciences, provides a quick overview of what can make your dog sick.

Can Dogs Eat Leftovers?

“Dogs sometimes have food seeking behaviors, they’ll get into the garbage and they’ll eat the scraps of food that we either throw away that we used in cooking or that got spoiled in the refrigerator.

However dogs are very sensitive to the molds that sometimes grow in foods that are in the trash such as moldy cheeses and moldy breads.

What Can Happen If My Dog Eats From The Garbage?

You have to be really careful about dogs getting into those as those molds can produce toxins called mycotoxins that can cause tremoring and seizure activity in dogs. Oftentimes we don’t associate that little mouthful of food the dog was able to scavenge from the trash can to them tremoring or seizing a day or two down the line. 

How Do I Stop My Dog Being Sick

So just being really careful with even just food products, things that you don’t expect to be unsafe for your dog, disposing of them well, taking your trash out everyday, not allowing the dog to have access to the trash can make a significant difference in preventing poisoning.”

Watch the full video here: