This is a slow cooker recipe for homemade venison and butternut squash dog food. By preparing this nutritious and flavorful meal in your crockpot, you can ensure that your pet is getting the best ingredients and flavors in their bowl. So, let’s dive into this easy-to-make and wholesome recipe that will have your dog’s tail wagging with delight.
Makes approximately 11.5 lbs of food*
- 4 lbs 11 oz Ground Venison
- 85% lean/15% fat
- 3 lbs 2 oz Butternut Squash
- 3 lbs 2 oz Sweet Potatoes
- 15 oz Brussels Sprouts
- Finely chopped
- 2.5 oz Cranberries
- Unsweetened, fresh or frozen, finely chopped
- 4.25 oz Safflower Oil
- 1 tsp JustFoodForDogs Omega Plus Fish Oil
- 2 1/2 tbsp JustFoodForDogs Venison & Squash DIY Nutrient Blend
Note: As with any dog food recipe, it is essential that it is complete and balanced. This recipe is nothing without the DIY Nutrient Blend, which is formulated specifically for each recipe to meet AAFCO recommendations. The blend is compounded from 100% human-grade nutraceuticals regulated by the FDA. As such, it is vital that you follow this recipe exactly as it is written.
Serving Size For Venison & Squash Dog Food
Slow Cooker Recipe For Venison & Squash Dog Food
1. Wash all vegetables thoroughly.
2. Finely chop or dice all vegetables.
3. Use fresh fruits and vegetables whenever possible, but if 1 or 2 items must be frozen, make sure there are no added ingredients such as salt or sugar.
4. Remove seeds and stem from butternut squash.
5. The weight of the squash should be verified after it is cubed since a significant amount of it can be lost during the preparation process.
1. Add venison, Brussels sprouts, butternut squash, and sweet potatoes to the slow cooker along with 1 cup of water. Slow-cook on high heat for approximately 2.5 hours, occasionally stirring to break up ground venison and adding water in ½ cup increments, if necessary.
2. Check to see if the ingredients are cooking thoroughly (becoming soft to the touch).
3. Add cranberries, change setting to low heat and cook for an additional ½ hour.
4. Once all ingredients are cooked, allow the food to cool.
5. After it has completely cooled to the touch, place the food in a large mixing bowl and slowly sprinkle in the Venison & Squash DIY Nutrient Blend along with the oils required in the recipe. Mix these in thoroughly.
6. Portion into individual serving sizes and store in the refrigerator or freezer. This recipe will remain fresh in your refrigerator for 3-5 days and up to one year in the freezer.
Preparing homemade dog food allows you to have complete control over the ingredients that go into your pet’s meals. This slow cooker recipe for venison and butternut squash dog food offers a balanced combination of protein, vitamins, and minerals that will keep your dog healthy and happy.
The tender and succulent venison, paired with the natural sweetness of butternut squash, creates a flavorful dish that your dog will absolutely love. So, grab your crockpot and give this recipe a try. Remember, a well-fed dog is a happy dog!
*All weights indicated are raw or dry weight.
Prefer to make a smaller batch? This printable PDF includes instructions for full and half batches of food.